Rules and Regulations
All players will abide by the rules and regulations of the WTHS school handbook. Infraction of these items can result in dismissal from the team.
Washington Township Tennis Team Goals and Expectations
To the members of the Minuteman Tennis Team and their parents:
Washington Township Tennis has accomplished many goals over the years and we are looking forward to another successful season. We want to continue our winning tradition. A winning tradition comes from the hard work, dedication and commitment by the coaching staff, players and parents.
You may tryout for any spot, the staff reserves the right to move you where it is best for the team, within the ladder structure. Being a team member means doing what is asked of you.
In reference to the varsity squad, all candidates (freshmen-seniors) should strive to play on the varsity team. Playing time for some players may be limited. Remember, WE NEED supportive players for the program to be successful.
Our team has high goals and expectations for this year. Team policies and expectations are necessary for us to be successful. Below is the list of our team goals and expectations:
1) Representing Washington Township High School is an honor and a privilege. At all times on and off the court you should conduct yourselves in an appropriate and mature manner. Players will conduct themselves with class and dignity, treat teammates, administrators, opponents and officials respectfully and display excellent sportsmanship.
2) Being a member of this team means making a commitment to the program. You will be responsible for managing your time to meet all of your other obligations.
3) Student athletes should abide by the rules set forth during the school day. Deviation from these rules (detention, suspension, etc…) will lead to disciplinary actions and/or dismissal from the team.
4) Attendance is mandatory for all practices, games, meetings and team functions. There will be games and practices scheduled on Saturdays. Medical and professional appointments should be made at a time when practice or a game is not scheduled. An unexcused absence will result in that player not being permitted to play the next game. Two unexcused absences will result in suspension from the team.
5) Missing practice prior to a game as a result of an unexcused absence (and excused absences in certain circumstances) will result in not being eligible to play in the game(s). If you are absent from school your parent/guardian must notify the appropriate coach by phone or e-mail before noon.
Coach Surplus (Varsity): 589-5353 x 5718; e-mail: email@example.com
Coach Rearick (JV): 589-8500 x 7485; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Excused absences are: academic related school functions, religious commitments, medical notes, death in the family and legal reasons.
7) At all times, players should be prepared (clothing, sneakers, racquets, etc…) to practice indoors and/or outdoors. NO unapproved headwear will be worn.
8) Players are responsible for notifying the coaching staff by March 9th of any extended absences or obligations during the season. Failure to notify the coaching staff can result in lost of playing time. Seniors are permitted two (2) excused absences for college visits provided Coach Surplus is notified at least two (2) weeks in advance.
9) All players will receive a schedule of games.
10) All players are to be on the courts and all equipment will be set up before the scheduled starting time of practice and games. Players should arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled practice. Each player on the team is responsible for their personal equipment and team equipment.
11) All players are responsible for their academic performance. Any student-athlete needing extra help may stay after school providing they contact the appropriate coach during the day and be at practice ASAP with a note/pass.
12) Good communication between coaches, players, teammates and parents is essential in having a successful program. Coaches, players and parents will keep an open line of communication to avoid any misinterpretations. Any concerns a player may have should be addressed directly to the coach at an appropriate time. All meetings need to be scheduled at the convenience of the coach.
13) Players are responsible for traveling to and from each game with the team, and being seated on the bus at the scheduled departure time. Any exceptions must be approved by the Athletic Director 24 hours prior to the game with a signed note from your parent/guardian.
14) All players are required to remain at the games and practices until the coaching staff dismisses the team. Failure to stay for the entire game or practice can result in lost playing time.
15) The coaches design practice so that our team will meet our goals. The suggestions and constructive criticisms that are made are not to be viewed personally, but should be accepted as a way in which our team will improve.
16) The use of illegal substances, alcohol, and tobacco is not permitted.
17) Respect all managers and trainers. They are an important part of our team.
18) If you are not in school by 10:00am, you may not practice or play in the game that day, but you are expected to be at practice or the game to support your team. A player leaving school early (5th pd.) must return before the end of the day with a doctors’ note. If not, you will not be permitted to tennis.
19) Practices will start at 2:40 sharp on school days, weather permitting. This is to provide for extra help, club meetings, and to see the trainer. Please notify the coach if more time for activities is required. Lateness will not be tolerated. All equipment must be properly set up prior to practice starting at 2:40.
20) If a player must leave school because of illness, you are required to notify the coach in person before you leave school property. If the coach is not contacted in advance, it will be considered an unexcused absence.
21) Players are responsible for their uniform cleanliness, tidiness and bringing all parts to each game.
22) Players will be responsible for wearing uniform parts and designated team attire on game days.
23) Practices are closed to outsiders. Players are not permitted to talk to parents, friends, etc… during “tennis time”. Tennis time includes: pre-game, game, post game and clean-up.
24) ALL players should come to practices/games with an open mind and positive attitude. Bring your BEST EVERYDAY…NO REGRETS!!!
25) HAVE FUN !!
Coach Cindy Surplus (Varsity)
Coach M. Scheuneman ( Junior Varsity)
Practices will tend to revolve around the schedule. Due to weather(rain) both the practice schedule and match schedule will change. Be prepared to adjust your schedule to that for full participation.
|return to sports index||return to athletics index||return to high school||return to wtps.org|