Colonization and Settlement Vocabulary:
1. charter – a document given by the government to new colonies; it tells about the colonies’ rights
2. Roanoke Island: Island off the coast of North Carolina, site of England’s first attempt at a permanent settlement, known as the “Lost Colony.”
3.Jamestown: First permanent English colony in North America, founded in 1607, located in eastern Virginia.
4.pilgrim: Person who travels to a new place for religious reasons.
5.Mayflower Compact: Plan of government written by the Pilgrims who sailed on theMayflower.
6. Puritans: Group of people who wanted to “purify” the Church of England. They established the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630.
7. House of Burgesses: Law making assembly in colonial Virginia- example of self-government.
8. cash crop: Crop grown to be sold for profit $
9. plantations – Large pieces of land where crops were grown for money
10. artisan: Skilled worker who makes things
11. apprentice: Young person who learns a skill from a more experienced worker.
12. indentured servant: Person who agreed to work for someone for a certain amount of time in exchange for the cost of the voyage to North America
13.slavery – Practice of owning people and forcing them to work
14.triangular trade route: Name given to trade route between the 13 Colonies, Europe, the West Indies, and Africa; included the slave trade.
15. Middle Passage – The middle part of trip across the ocean on slave ships that involved the transportation of slaves to America.