Computer and Financial Literacy 6
I. CLASSWORK REQUIREMENTS
A. Students must complete assignments, demonstrate knowledge of class rules, and properly use computer hardware/software relative to NJCCCS 8.1 and NJCCC 21st Century Life and Career Skill Standards 9.1 and 9.2.
II. ATTITUDE & BEHAVIOR
A. Students will demonstrate the following: sincere effort, cooperation, following directions, pride-in-work, self-control, respect for others, patience, perseverance, and responsibility for care and use of equipment.
III. COURSE OBJECTIVES/OVERVIEW
A. COURSE CONTENT
- As required by the NJDOE, NJCCC Standard 8.1- Technological Literacy: all students will use digital tools to access, manage, evaluate, and synthesize information in order to solve problems individually and collaboratively and to create and communicate knowledge.
- Students will apply technological knowledge and skills using digital tools in a responsible manner, which will include the application of: word processing, Internet (Use and Safety), desktop publishing, database, spreadsheet, multimedia, and programming.
- As required by the NJDOE, NNCCC Standard 9.1 21st Century Life Skills: All students will demonstrate the creative, critical thinking, collaboration, and problem solving skills needed to function successfully as both global citizens and workers in diverse ethnic and organizational cultures.
- As required by the NJDOE, NJCCC Standard 9.2 Personal Financial Literacy: All students will develop skills and strategies that promote personal and financial responsibility related to financial planning, savings, investment, and charitable giving in the global economy.
- Financial literacy includes the application of knowledge, skills, and ethical values when making consumer and financial decisions that impact the self, the family, and the regional and global communities.
- Use money management techniques
- Develop credit and debt management techniques
- Apply effective planning and saving techniques
- Practice being a critical consumer
- Cultivate civic responsibility
- Understanding the need for insurance
- Understand how to obtain insurance
- Utilize career planning and research
- Reflect on earning an income
- Emphasizing the process of writing, plan, write, edit, and print documents using word processing.
- Emphasizing critical thinking skills, plan and create a database into which data can be entered, interpreted, organized and printed.
- Focusing on the manipulation of numerical data, plan and create spreadsheets from which graphs will be generated and interpreted.
- Using computer aided painting and drawing software and peripherals to produces graphics.
- Apply problem solving skills to design, create, and publish desktop publishing projects.
- Safe use of the Internet as a research and design tool.
- Employing creative, critical thinking and problem solving techniques to plan, design, create and present multimedia projects.
- Utilize creative, critical thinking and problem solving skills to plan, write, debug, collaborate and share projects.
- Be vigilant of Internet safety issues including cyber-bullying.
C. APPRECIATION OF CONCEPTS
- Identify and demonstrate an understanding of the concepts and of the practical applications to learning and problem solving.
- Relate this understanding to personal use and the educational environment.
- Recognize the importance of education to their financial future.
- Realize that career choices will impact future earnings.
- Understand successful money management is a lifelong process
- Understand and recognize their role the in the local and global economy.
- Understand and recognize the role of the government in the global and local economy.
- Grasp the role of the government in developing fiscal policies.
- Understand that making wise consumer decisions will improve one’s quality of life.
- Know that the misuse of credit can have life-long consequences.
A. Attendance: Refer to Board of Education Policy
V. GRADING PROCEDURES
A. Grades will be based on class assignments, projects, class participation, conduct, and homework.