A New Nation
1. Articles of Confederation- stated that the states would remain free and independent but would be joined in a “league of friendship,” not a strong central government.
2. Constitution- the new plan of government after the Articles of Confederation.
3. Legislative Branch- part of the government that passes laws.
4. Executive Branch- part of the government, headed by the President, that carries out the laws.
5. Judicial Branch - part of the government that decides the meaning of laws.
6. ratify- to approve something
7. Federalist- Supporter of a strong national government and in favor of adopting of the Constitution.
8. Antifederalist- People who were in opposition to the Constitution.
9. amendment- An addition or change to the Constitution.
10. Bill of Rights- the first ten amendments to the Constitution.
11. political party- An organized group of people who share a view of what government should be and do.