Fundations Unit 2
Unit Focus Skill:
CVC Words. A CVC word is a word that is made up of a consonant, vowel and consonant sound. Cat, hot, man, tip and hut are all CVC words.
We teach the students to “TAP OUT” each sound to blend the word together. They learned how to tap in kindergarten.
Example CVC Word List:
Unit Trick Words
Trick words cannot be sounded out and can only be learned through repeated practice reading and writing the words until they become memorized.
Ways to practice skill words and trick words at home:
- Write the words on white boards.
- Write the words in sand.
- Spell the words aloud to an adult.
- Build the words with letter tiles or blocks.
- Type the words into an IPad or computer.
Test Date: Friday, September 28th__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Math Information Sheet - Unit 1
Home Activities: First in Math, Bear / Bunny Hop, Penny Die, Top-It
Materials: 20 pennies, 1 die
Object: To collect the most pennies.
- Put 20 pennies in the middle.
- Take turns. When it is your turn, roll the die.
- Take the number of pennies show on the die.
- Play until all the pennies have been picked up. (To pick up the last pennies,
- the number on the die must match the number of pennies still in the middle.)
- The player with the most pennies wins. If it is a tie, both players win.
Bear / Bunny Hop
Materials: Number line, 1 die, a counter for each player
Object: To get to 20 and back to 0.
- Players start on 0.
- Take turns. When it is your turn, roll the die. Move your counter that manyhop back towards 0. You must roll the exact number to land on 0.)
- hops towards 20. (Note: You must roll the exact number to land on 20. Then
- Whoever lands on 0 first is the winner.
Materials: Deck of cards (No face cards, Ace=1)
Object: To collect more cards.
- Shuffle the cards. Place the deck number-side down on the table.
- Each player turns over 1 card and says the number on it.
- The player with the larger number takes both cards. If both cards showthe larger number then takes all 4 cards for that round.
- the same number, each player turns over another card. The player with
Red Reading Book Bags
Mrs. York's Reading Groups - Our Red Book Bags will be sent home daily. It is very important that this bag goes back and forth from school every day. The book enclosed is at your child's reading level and should be read by your child. Please listen to your child read the book. Then, choose another book for you to read to your child. This book can be a book from home or the library. After reading both books, complete the reading log which is also enclosed in the Red Book Bag. Please be sure to read with your child AT LEAST 4 times a week. The Reading Log will be replaced when both sides are completed.
Mrs. Price's Reading Groups - Mrs. Price will send home a "Clear" reading bag at the beginning of each week. Please return this "Clear" reading bag at the beginning of the following week. During the week, your child should practice reading this book. Multiple readings over several days are encouraged. Then, choose another book for you to read to your child. This book can be a book from home or the library. After reading both books, complete the reading log which is also enclosed in the "Clear" reading bag. Please be sure to read with your child AT LEAST 4 times a week. The Reading Log will be replaced by Mrs. Price.