#71 Wrap It Up! Page 113 Entry # Date:4/4/18
Remember to answer in complete sentences, restating the question and using evidence and elaboration stems as often as you can.
- NAME: What are three ocean ecosystems?
- COMPARE: Which ecosystem supports a greater variety of living organisms, the deep ocean or a coral reef?
- GENERALIZE: Why is the ocean able to support many different kinds of ecosystems?
#70 Building a Terrarium: Earth's Systems Interact Model 4/3/18
Q: (from page 110 in text book)
C: (Restate the question AND use information from the text on page 110)
M:(Page 110 in text)
Glue in data table - skip 2-3 pages, glue in teacher and student rubric, skip and label a page for Wrap It Up page 111. *We can't do that yet. )
#69 Draw a picture of your pond ecosystem
#68 Monsoons page Wrap It Up page 109
Wrap It Up! Earth’s Systems Interact Page 109 Date: Entry #___
ANSWER in complete sentences using STEMs and RESTATING the question. Be prepared to share.
- Define: What is a monsoon?
- COMPARE & CONTRAST: How are the winter and summer monsoons alike and different? What causes them? Which bring rain and which bring dry air? Use the table below. High light similarities. Bullets are fine!
- CAUSE & EFFECT: How do the summer monsoons of India affect the hydrosphere, geosphere, and biosphere?
- DRAW a diagram in your ISN using details from your text book of summer and winter monsoons. COLOR
#67 The Biosphere
Wrap It Up! Page 107 Entry #____ Date:
- Describe: What makes up the biosphere?
- Relate: How do land animals interact with the atmosphere?
- Explain: How do elements of the biosphere and hydrosphere interact?
#66 The ATMOSPHERE Wrap It Up! Page 105 Entry #______ Date:________
- Interpreting Graphs: Which gas makes up the largest portion of the atmosphere?
- EXPLAIN: How does wind affect landforms? GIVE an example and describe.
- INFER: The amount of water in the atmosphere differs from place to place. Would you usually expect to find more water over land or over the ocean? Explain your answer; tell why you think this way.
***Challenge for 5 points on Friday's Quiz- Create a bar graph from the pie graph on page 104. It must be NEAT, labeled, accurate, and colorful.
#65 The HYDROSPHERE: Wrap It Up! Page 103 Entry #_____ Date:_______
- Define: What is groundwater?
- Identify: What process moves water from the Earth’s surface to the atmosphere?
- EXPLAIN: How does the water in the atmosphere return to Earth’s surface? DRAW a diagram in addition to your written answer. **What is this cycle called??
Wrap It Up! GEOSPHERE
Pages 101 Entry #_______ Date:
- Identify: What are two events or processes that take place in the geosphere?
- CAUSE & EFFECT: How can water in the hydrosphere change the geosphere?
- EXPLAIN: A volcano releases large amounts of ash into the air. How might this process affect plants and animals in the biosphere?
#63 Earth's systems
Wrap It Up! Page 99 Entry #63
Wrap It Up! Page 99 Entry #63 Date:
LIST: What are Earth’s four major systems?
1._________________ 2._________________ 3.___________________ 4.____________________
Classify: Identify the system to which each of the following belongs:
Water in a pool: _____________________ Pebbles at the beach: ____________________________
Bee on a flower: _____________________ Oxygen you breathe: _____________________________
Apply: Beavers often build dams on streams, forming ponds. Which systems are interacting when a beaver builds a dam? (Complete sentences; restate the question; use evidence and elaboration stems)
#62 May be your Model pond investigation drawing/ draft
# 61Wrap It Up! Page 91 “Animals Invade” Entry # _____ Date: _________________Recall: What is an invasive species?
- Cause and Effect: How do phorid flies affect the behavior of red fire ants. How does this affect the imported fire ant population?
- Evaluate: Are phorid flies an invasive species? EXPLAIN.
# 60Wrap It Up! Page 87 “Plants Invade” Entry #_____ Date:_________
Remember to answer in complete sentences using your stems whenever possible and restating the questions ALWAYS!!
- DEFINE: What is an invasive species?
- Infer: How might daily life in the South be affected by the growth of kudzu?
- Infer: What could happen if you planted an invasive plant near your home?
#59 Directions and draft for model from page 84-85
#58 Wrap it Up Page 83 (This was also the model pond investigation)
Classify: How did your observations help you classify producers and consumers/
Compare and Contrast: In what ways is your model like a real pond? In what ways is it different?
#57 Wrap It Up Page 81
Wrap It up! Page 79 Date: Entry #
- Define: What is an ecosystem?
- Infer: What are some of the nonliving things you can observe or infer in this photo of a tallgrass prairie?
- Explain: How do physical characteristics of an environment help support the organisms that live there?
Wrap It Up! Page 77 Date: Entry #____
- Describe: What is the role of decomposers in the nitrogen cycle?
- EXPLAIN: Why is the carbon dioxide-oxygen cycle important to plants and animals.
- SEQUENCE: The following organisms are part of the nitrogen cycle: microscopic decomposers, plant, & rabbit. DRAW and color a diagram with arrows (this is called a flow chart) that puts the organisms in the correct order. Begin with the nitrogen in the soil.
Wrap It Up! Page 75 Date: Entry #
REMEMBER!! COMPLETE sentences restating the question using evidence and elaboration stems!!
- Name: What are two kinds of decomposers?
- EXPLAIN: How do decomposers get energy?
- CAUSE & EFFECT: Suppose there were no decomposers in the soil. How might this affect plants growing in the area?
#54 Draw a CHAIN
DRAW a Web
THEN DO: Wrap It Up! Page 73 Date: Entry #
REMEMBER! Always use complete sentences restating the question. Also, use evidence and elaboration stems as much as possible and when it is appropriate.
- Explain: How does energy flow through a food chain?
- Contrast: How is a food web different from a food chain?
- Infer: Suppose a disease kills most of the hawks in part of the desert. How might the loss of the hawks affect the other animals?
#53 Draft of partner research: food chain in a particular envrionment from PP 70-71
#52 DRAFT for Edmodo Assigment from PP. 68-69
Wrap It Up! Page 67 Entry #____ Date:
RESTATE the question and use evidence and elaboration STEMS!
- Define: What is a food chain?
- Compare: How do producers and consumers each obtain the energy they need to live and grow?
- ANALYZE: Could producers live without consumers? Could consumers live without producers? EXPLAIN!!!