Week 1: March 17th-March 20th Lesson
Welcome to Mr. Herzog's Second Grade Online Lessons:
My Helpful Robot:
In this lesson Second Grade will be creating their own robot to help them with anything they want!
Before we start here are a few videos to watch:
Please read all instructions before you begin:
- Use a 8 1/2" x 11" white piece of paper (any paper will do).
- Hold the paper vertically.
- The Question is:
- "If you had a Robot of your very own what would it do to help you?"
- "My Robot folds my laundry and cleans my room."
- "My Robot helps me with my homework."
- "My Robot makes chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast."
- "My Robot can fly me to Outer Space and visit other planets."
- "My Robot cuts down trees and makes them into comfortable rocking chairs."
- Draw a large shape in the center of the paper; it can be a square, circle, triangle, oval, or diamond
- All robots have head, so draw a head at the top of the large shape.
- All robots have arms, so draw arms using one of the shapes above.
- All robots have legs, draw those.
- Add shapes and lines on the robot to create buttons, gears, and blinking lights.
- Remember: your robot is a helpful robot, not a mean robot.
- What other things will your robot need to help you?
- What tools will your robot need to do its job? (Examples: hammer, shovel, hair dryer, vacumn cleaner, saw, paint, scissors, etc...?)
- Once you are done drawing your robot, you may color your robot.
- You may color the robot in crayon, magic markers, or color pencils (whatever supplies you have at home will be fine).
- Use only four or five colors on your robot.
- Leave the background blank.
- Write a few sentences telling other students what your robot does to help you.
- Example: "My robot's name is Hydro Bot. He puts out fires with a huge fire hose. He also recues people from burning buildings with his long arms and legs. He is a great Fire Fighting Robot!"
Here is an Example:
- Below is a slide show of different types of robots...
- Have fun creating your amazing robot, I can't wait to see them!