Week 2: March 23rd-March 27th Lesson
Please remember, have your first and last name, teacher's name, and grade when you email me. Thanks.
Welcome to Mr. Herzog's First Grade Online Lessons:
Andy Warhol, POP ART, & Campbell Soup Cans:
In this lesson First Grade will be creating their own Pop Art: Campbell Soup Cans. Andy Warhol was an artist and a leader of the Pop Art movement in the 1960s. He painted comic book characters, Campbell's soup cans, and images of famous celebrities of the time such as Marilyn Monroe and Jackie Kennedy. In addition to commercial art, Warhol wrote several film scripts.
Before we start let's watch a couple of videos about Andy Warhol and Pop Art:
Please read through instructions before you begin:
- Use a 8 1/2" x 11" white piece of paper (any paper will do)
- Hold the paper vertically.
- Draw a large soup can (see images)
- Carefully draw the can's top of the lid and the label. (see example)
- Think about your favorite soup and draw that or create your own kind of soup.
- Once you are done drawing your Campbell's Soup Can, color the soup can in completely as well as the background using warm or cool colors.
- When coloring the soup can use only warm colors or cool colors (do not mix warm and cool).
- Warm colors: red, orange, yellow.
- Cool colors: blue, purple, green.
- You may color the Campbell's Soup Cans in crayon, magic markers, or color pencils (whatever supplies you have at home).
- Use only three warm colors or three cool colors for each soup can.
- When you color the background use the opposite colors. If you have colored the soup can warm colors make the background color a cool color. If you have colored the soup can cool colors make the background color a warm color.
- I can't wait to see crazy pop art soup cans!
- Remember: once you are finished with artwork take a picture of it and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will post it on Bells Online Art Gallery.
Here are examples:
If you feel like it instead of drawing one soup can you might want to try drawing four soup cans.
Have fun creating your Andy Warhol Soup Cans!