Weeks 4 & 5: (April 6-10) (April 20-24) Lessons
UPDATE: Week of April 20th-24th is "CATCH-UP WEEK". Try to have all work completed from Lessons Weeks 1-4. When you email me a picture of your art work at firstname.lastname@example.org , make sure you include your First and Last Name, Teacher's Name, and Grade.
Welcome to Mr. Herzog's First Grade Online Lessons:
The Butterfly Collection:
In this lesson First Grade will be collecting/creating butterflies.
Before we start let's watch a couple of videos about how to draw butterflies:
How to draw a butterfly:
How to draw a butterfly 2:
Please read through instructions before you begin:
- Use a 8 1/2" x 11" white piece of paper (any paper will do).
- Hold the paper vertically.
- Optional: Fold the paper in half vertically if you would like to draw two butterflies.
- Draw three large shapes for the body parts.
- Butterflies have three body parts: Head, Thorax, and Abdomen.
- The body parts can be made out of various shapes such as a square, circle, triangle, oval, or diamond.
- The drawing should be bigger than your hand (you will not be able to cover it).
- All insects have six legs, so draw six legs on each thorax.
- Each insect will have antennas, draw those on the head.
- Now draw the wings of the butterfly.
- There are four wings, two wings on each side of the body.
- Add shapes and lines on the wings of the butterfy to create cool designs.
- Shape Examples:
- squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, diamonds, ovals, stars, hearts, & lightening bolts
- The designs on the butterfly are symmetrical-one side is the same as the other.
- For example, if you draw circle at the top of the right wing, then draw a circle at the top of the left wing.
- Once you are done drawing your insects , color them in completely using various colors.
- You may color the insects in crayon, magic markers, or color pencils (whatever supplies you have at home).
- Use as many colors as you like for each butterfly.
- Color the background a color you have not used to color the butterfly.
- I can't wait to see the beautiful butterflies you create!
Remember: once you are finished with your artwork take a picture of it and email it to email@example.com. Include the students name and teacher's name and grade. I will post it on Bells Online Art Gallery.
Here are some shapes of various Butterflies:
Here are Examples:
Have fun creating your beautiful Butterflies.