Reading with your child each day is the best way to help him/her become a great reader. Here are some simple strategies you can use to help build strong reading skills:
- Read to or with your child every day.
- Point to the words as you read. This will help your child learn that reading goes from left to right and understand that the word s/he hears is the word s/he sees.
- Read your child's favorite book over and over again.
- Read many stories with rhyming words and lines that repeat. Invite your child to join in on these parts.
- Talk about the story or any new words.
- Stop and ask about the pictures and about what is happening in the story.
- Read from a variety of children's books, including fairy tales, song books, poems, and information books.