The mission of the Whitman School is to create an equitable atmosphere in which children will develop self-worth, personal excellence, community mindedness, and a sense of responsibility toward themselves and others for the present and the future. We believe students need to experience excellent academic achievement, a feeling that they are part of a school family, and a high rate of participation and recognition. We also believe that a quality staff is essential for student success. In addition we believe that education and learning begin in the home and require the family's on-going involvement through the years. Our mission statement, beliefs, and school activities are developed in conjunction with parents and staff members through a Principal's Advisory Committee.
The facilities at Whitman School meet the needs of the twenty-first century by providing for a safe and secure learning environment and an effective communication and research system. Each classroom is equipped with a telephone; a computer teaching station connected to the Internet and a direct hook up to a TV monitor; and student computer stations. Students also receive specialized instruction in music, art, computers, physical education, and library skills within their own facility.
Class Size / Enrollment:
- Enrollment: 623
- Average Class Size: 24 students per homeroom
- We have 5 classes of each grade first through fifth, a transitional first grade class, and two multiple handicapped classes.
Various staff development opportunities were provided to enhance instruction and methods of teaching. These opportunities included
Every teacher developed computer skills to use computers in an instructional setting;
- technology training;
- peer coaching;
- master teacher;
- computer training;
- special education/inclusion;
- postgraduate coursework;
- several workshops on specialized topics;
- and training in CPR and the Heimlich procedure.
- to use Telecommunications/Internet/WWW skills;
- to develop word processing skills;
- to record student achievement.
- More than fifty percent of our teaching staff hold Masters Degrees.
- All teaching staff are New Jersey State Certified.
- All teaching staff have achieved District Mandated Technology Proficiencies.
- Teachers take part in workshops including CPR training, computer training, and out of district educational conferences
- Every homeroom has Internet Access as well as televisions, VCRs and access to Laser Disk players.
- We have a State of the Art computer lab which houses thirty networked Dell Computers, two laser printers, school wide video and camera equipment.
- We produce daily live school wide announcements through our digital video system.
- We have a technology team of 4th and 5th grade students who produce our daily live announcements, take digital pictures and meet once a week in the computer lab.
- We have digital video and digital still cameras.
- We have a 10,000 volume media center, on-site reading specialist and librarian.
- Our library offers an electronic card catalog and Internet accessibility.
- We have a music room, Chorus and Bell Choir as well as yearly recitals.
- We have Musical Instrument Instruction as well as an orchestra and band.
- We have an art room, Honors Art program and yearly art show.