Student Assistance Counselor
The Student Assistance Counselor at the Middle School provides students of all grades, as well as their families, with confidential help in resolving a variety of personal concerns related to:
- family conflicts such as not getting along with parents or parents getting separated or divorced.
- dealing with step-parents as well as single parents.
- poor academic performance in school.
- dating and relationship concerns.
- drug or alcohol use by you, a friend, or a family member.
- death or serious illness of a friend or family member.
- feelings of depression or suicide.
- conflicts with other students.
- conflicts with teachers,
- or if you need a safe place to talk with someone who really understands about anything that maybe bothering you.
According to a very strict Federal Regulation (42.CFR), the Student Assistance Counselor cannot disclose to anyone any information that a student discusses with them, without the permission of the student. There are only two exceptions to this law. The first is in instances where the student expresses the desire to hurt himself/herself or another person. The second exception involves situations of abuse. In both cases the SAC is obligated to inform school or legal personnel.
However, there are a few exceptions to this law. If a student tells the SAC that he/she wishes to hurt him/herself or anyone else, actions must be taken to prevent this from happening. Also, if a student discloses that abuse is happening to him/her, the SAC counselor has the obligation to report the abuse.
With this confidentiality law, students feel more comfortable disclosing information to their counselors. In most cases holding information in and letting it build can have a detrimental effect. The SAC gives the students the opportunity to vent in a safe place where they know the information will not leave the office.
Thomas WoodsonStudent Assistance Counselor
Phone: (856) 582-5353 x5602
Fax: (856) 589-0197Office Hours:Wednesday: PM OnlyThursday: 7:45AM - 2:50PM
Friday: 7:45AM - 2:50PM
If you need to see me for any reason, please get a pass from your teacher.If he is not in his office, students may leave a note for him in the Guidance Office.