HARASSMENT, INTIMIDATION, & BULLYING (HIB)
Establishing, implementing, documenting, and evaluating a bullying prevention program or approaches, and other activities involving school personnel, students, administrators, volunteers, parents, law enforcement, and the community, is the responsibility of Washington Township Public Schools. These policies and programs will be supported throughout our district in an effort to eliminate harassment, intimidation and bullying.
If a parent, student, or member of staff suspects bullying has taken place, they should notify the school's principal, supervisor, and/or District/School Anti-Bullying Specialist immediately.
New Jersey’s Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights defines HIB as follows:
Harassment, intimidation or bullying means any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it be a single incident or a series of incidents, that is reasonably perceived as being motivated either by any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability, or by any other distinguishing characteristic, that takes place on school property, at any school sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds as provided for in section 16 of P.L.2010, c.122 (C.18A:37-15.3), that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students and that:
- a reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, what will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a student or damaging the student's property, or placing a student in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his person or damage to his property;
- has the effect of insulting or demeaning any student or group of students; or
- creates a hostile educational environment for the student by interfering with a student’s education or by severely or pervasively causing physical or emotional harm to the studen
To start an anonymous incident report, please click here.Prevention Programs and Initiatives
- District-wide Anti-Bullying Program following the "Building Better People" Prevention Program
- Parent and Student HIB Materials and Resources
- Counseling Programs
- Staff Professional Development
Staff Training and implementation of the "Building Better People" Prevention Program
- Suicide Prevention Programs